Biking in PlaP

Biking in PlaP
Erin Owens and grampa Kennedy

Followers

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Thursday the 9th of December 2010

Terry and Lesley Betcher on the 5k Breakfast run last Saturday. They are in the Rotary Park on the Pathway. They are running very comfortable; dressed in layers and warm. The Rotary Park gives good wind protection too.





I cheated a bit on Tuesday night. I turned the lights on at the Jack Brown at 20 after 7p.m. (supose to bee 7:30p.m.) and I run to 8:10p.m.(supose to be 8p.m. - lights out). The little bit before is ok as the lights need time to warm up, but I went over the 8p.m. I thought I could get 24 laps in and I did but I was surprised I was past 8p.m. when I finished the last lap. I guess I was going slower than I thought. Christmas parties and eating did it to me. I was at the Lodge Christmas supper with Grandma and that was at 6p.m. I was still feeling kinda full when I started running at 7:20p.m. It's something that you wouldn't normally do - eat a whole bunch just before a run. But, what the heck, Christmas is pretty important and you got to have a life right!

When I biked out to Kitchner/Waterloo in 2003, I burned calories. It took me 22 days and I tried to get 100 miles in per day. I was pretty close to that. It ment 9 to 10 hours per day on the bike depending on wind and hills.

When it comes to burning calories, nothing beats running. Here's a quote from a serious runner's article out of an issure in the Canadain Running Magazine.

"After a long sunday morning run, I could spend the rest of the day with my face in the fridge and not replace all the calories I've burned this morning."

The lights will be on every tuesday and thursday evening from 7:30p.m. (maybe a few minutes before that) and off at 8p.m. If you want to give it a try. The light is excellent and so is the footing. The town does and excellent job clearing snow and fast. They have powerfull, small scale, equipment that does the job. Previously, the equipment was a garden tractor with a blade which was too small and underpowered. You got to have the right equipmnt ritht!


So far, the lights haven't attracted many walkers/runners. One boomerang thrower (if you can imagine that). The kids on the Taylor School hill don't mind the lights.


Keep give 'en 'er,
Have good week-end,
Gk

No comments: